Majority of Mankind to face water shortage by 2050
Back to May, a group of water scientists issued a declaration stating that over half the world population would face water shortage by the middle of the century.Given how we just can’t live without the precious fluid, let’s hope we will act.
The main causes are known : over-pumping of underground aquifers, soaring populations, pollution, the over-use of fertilizers, and climate change. All the factors are human-induced and thus, completely avoidable.
These aren’t exactly news as we have seen that by 2030, we could be facing a global water crisis. Lucky us, consuming less water is always feasible as we have seen in the past years.
Let’s have a look at some of the main solutions :
- Harvesting rainwater is a good solution people and companies alike could use ;
- Decreasing food waste as it is an important waste of water as well ;
- Hydraulic fracturing, aka fracking, is also a huge waste of drinkable water ;
- Toilets are also a huge way of wasting water. Alternative exist ;
- At home, a few tips might help you save water, and money.
And when all these will have been done, it will be time to turn urine into electricity. Let’s just hope we won’t have to resort to this.