This is time for me to present my selection of the best pictures of the NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). As always, this month was packed with beautiful images. It was as always difficult to select just ten.
For the last post of the year (and of the decade) let’s have a look at what the NASA say about my favorite picture : ” Northern Lights, or aurora borealis, haunted skies over the island of Kvaløya, near Tromsø Norway on December 13. ”
I particularly like aurora borealis, a natural phenomenon that occurs generally during nights in the ionosphere of both poles regions.
Here is my selection :
- Rigel and the Witch Head Nebula ;
- Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217 ;
- December Sunrise, Cape Sounion ;
- Planetary Systems Now Forming in Orion ;
- Star Cluster R136 Bursts Out ;
- Tutulemma: Solar Eclipse Analemma ;
- Aurora Shimmer, Meteor Flash ;
- Mojave Desert Fireball ;
- Geminid Meteor over Monument Valley ;
- The Colors of IC 1795 ;
See you in 2010 !